[Series of texts by @fatnutritionist, which read: “People are mad at me because they ‘work so hard’ to be fit or lose weight. They have told me this explicitly. It implies that they think my rejecting the values they subscribe to can somehow take away the fitness they’ve worked for. That is totally delusional. If you’ve worked hard for fitness, no amount of fat people rejecting stigma can take that away. So this is obviously not actually about fitness, at all. It’s about the other thing they ‘worked hard’ for: social status. They DO think, and they know, that the social status they have worked hard to earn, through ‘fitness,’ can be devalued. It can be devalued if the hierarchy that rewards them is crushed. Crushed by people rejecting stigma. We can’t take away your fitness or whatever weight you’ve lost. But we can devalue those things by destroying fat stigma. So they are afraid of us, and for good reason. If fat people aren’t stigmatized, then there is no more thin privilege. Remember always, fat people: People are afraid of you because you have an awesome power - to destroy the hierarchy. If they were not afraid of losing their place in the hierarchy, they would not come after you so viciously.” All tweets were accompanied by the hashtag, #notyourgoodfatty]
SO MUCH TRUTH.
My sister forgot how to say “turn up the volume” so she said “zoom in on the sound”
Diahann Carroll as Dominique Deveraux on Dynasty (4.26 - “New Lady In Town”).
What I don’t understand this person seems to be an insufferable bitch why are people apparently liking this person.
sorry, but i call bullshit (at least to the notion that michelle obama is the single source of this culinary hellscape). that crusty fried chicken sandwich in the top picture? i got served that shit in high school fifteen years ago, when michelle obama was an illinois senator’s wife. that ugly mess of ground “beef” and corn and mashed potatoes, with a single sad white roll? that shit’s so familiar i might as well be high-fiving it at a family reunion. our school lunches have been garbage for decades, ever since we let corporations enter the business of feeding schoolchildren on contract, when school lunches stopped being cooked at school and started being cooked in factories and freezer-bagged and microwaved on site. this shitty situation can’t be dropped entirely in michelle obama’s lap: she didn’t start sysco or aramark or maramont or any of the giant food conglomerates that serve up deep fried frozen faux food by the truckload into america’s schools, at a profit. why don’t we hold accountable giant corporations and industry lobbyists- like, i shit you not, the national potato council- who have fought against improving school lunch standards for decades?
michelle obama’s fighting an uphill battle because let’s face it, school districts across the nation are suffering and hemorrhaging money, and school lunches have always been a target of cutbacks. rather than spending money on healthy foods to cut calories and maximize nutrients- re the obama guidelines- schools just cut corners and serve less. their shitty substandard implementation of the guidelines does not mean that the concept of bringing healthier food into public schools is a failed one.
and if you want to change school lunches, instead of complaining to michelle obama on twitter, you can support the local efforts of students, parents and teachers to improve their lunches, like the campaign going on in philadelphia right now. these schoolkids have organized to try and end the contract with their shitty corporate meal provider, and gather support for meals cooked in-school with better ingredients. i guarantee there are fights like this going on in more places than philly, and they could use your help.
can we also just point out that the linked site is “The Blaze” which is notoriously conservative/right-leaning, biased and not a very trustworthy news source
check your sources please
- One of the first women to start her own independent production company.
- Earned her way to stardom without sleeping with executives for roles.
- Refused to date people for publicity just because 20th Century Fox wanted her to.
- Left 20th Century Fox because she refused to let them get away with treating her badly and paying her a tiny wage, just because of her “dumb blonde” image.
- Was only paid a fraction of her co-star’s wage even though she was the star of the movies and the biggest box office pull, but still went ahead with the movies because she was so passionate about acting.
- Studied method acting at the Actors Studio with Lee Strasberg, who said that she was one of his best students along with Marlon Brando.
- Had a personal library of over 500 books and rarely read fiction - she was desperate to learn and educate herself.
- Was sexually abused as a child but then went on to encourage the sexual liberation of women in the 1950s.
- One of the first people to speak openly about sexual abuse.
- One of the first people to openly support gay rights.
- Supported many charities such as the Milk Fund, March of Dimes, Arthritis and Rheumatism foundation.
- Donated her time and money to these charities.
- Visited orphanages and hospitals on her own time to surprise the people there.
- Married one of the greatest literary minds of the 20th century
- Suffered two miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy and still put on a brave face for her fans.
Sorry, did you say she wasn’t a role model?
marilyn is my biggest role model so don’t even go there
and let’s not forget this
Ella Fitzgerald was not allowed to play at the popular Mocambo, in Hollywood, because of her race. Marilyn, who loved her music and supported civil rights, called the owner of the Mocambo and told him that if he booked Ella immediately, she would take a front table every night. The owner said yes, and Marilyn was there, front table, every night. After that, Ella never had to play in a small jazz club again.
"She was an unusual woman – a little ahead of her times. And she didn’t know it." - Ella Fitzgerald about Marilyn Monroe
OH SHIT YOU JUST GOT SERVED
I got goosebumps reading this. Amazing.
im pretty sure the person made the picture as a joke just to get a reaction and you guys really supplied them with one hell of one omg bless it
for all the killjoys out there.
what the fuck
this is the scariest shit i’ve ever seen in my life
This is so cool. Eat Otomo Yoshihide’s heart out.
I’m used to associating this sort of heavy creepy distortion type audio as being achieved by internal studio mixing. Picking sections, warping them, reversing, repeating, all that sort of thing done with the board tools and programming suites. I didn’t stop to think that the same sort of effects could be achieved PHYSICALLY by fucking with the playback tools and the storage mediums themelves. It’s incredibly clever, especially when they introduce the cut-apart and reconstructed vinyl platters, it becomes the audio equivalent of cut-paste collaging or magnetic poetry. It takes something as ethereal and insubstantial as music, and makes it as tangible as sculpture.